Sunday 5 October 2014

September




It has been a difficult start to the school year. Our colleague and friend Patricia McIssac  passed away September 14th, and it has hit us and the school community pretty hard. She did so much for the school and the kids that it's difficult to think of anyone being able to replace her.


We had a relatively cool summer in Ontario this year, and we've had a similarly cool fall in Garden Hill. The few warm days we had this month I spent hiking and berry picking. Jordan and I found plenty of blueberries and cranberries. 


     








Being back in Garden Hill for one more year brings up a lot of conflicting feelings. On the one hand I'm happy to be back teaching, and our students seem excited to be in our classes. On average these kids are stronger in reading and math than last year's grade sixes. I've got plans to improve upon last year's lessons, and I have the materials needed to follow through on those plans. On the other hand living here is proving to be much more difficult psychologically. While I would definitely work at another school on a reserve I don't think I could live here another year after this one. 







No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages - Menu